[MPlayer-dev-eng] modifications to the webbpage

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu May 9 18:11:44 CEST 2002

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 03:04:53PM +0200, Felix Buenemann wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 May 2002 19:49, Arpi wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > Pity, I've been updating only the new design, waiting for the release :(
> > > Will merge then
> >
> > time to convert stuff to mhtml :)
> why don't we use template based webpages using php? unless we are very short
> in server cpu time this is a great idea and only templates need to be updated
> if design changes. It works like this: you have either one template.php that
> includes the contentxy.html file at some point, or you use contentxy.php and

This is a huge waste of cpu time; I don't know why people do this.
Unless your content really needs to dynamic, don't generate it
dynamically! The exact same things can be accomplished with a
preprocessing tool that generates static html files from templates, so
that you only perform this process ONCE rather than thousands of times
for each visitor.

> If your against runtime templates you could ofcourse do the same stuff offline
> using some perl-script. The trick is that our contentxy.html files are
> headerless html files with only the content and the design will be added
> around that by the template(s).

Right. This makes a whole lot more sense.

Rich