[MPlayer-dev-eng] [PROPOSAL] mplayer.1 update (2)

Jonas Jermann jjermann at gmx.net
Sat May 4 02:29:11 CEST 2002

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 02:08:08AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > Comments/Reason for 2. patch (my opinion):
> >     - old structure was rather burdensome than helpfull
> >     - It's easier to add new options that way
> >       (or I was to lazy to integrate Arpi's idea ;)
> >     - The manpage should better be used as a "reference book"
> >     -> It should therefore contain _all_ options and sub-options
> >     -> There is already a good documentation which is
> >        structured, explains certain problems etc...
>
> I partially agree, and didn't like the old structure.
> But IMHO there are too much options to be mixed up...

There sorted and there's a search function and see man bash... ;)

> And, tehre is a big problem: about 80% of mplayer/mencoder options
> are the same! Do you want to make manpages redundant (so both page has the
> same options desc?) or what?

Oh yes, that was a point I wanted to ask but forgot...

> Imho, we should split manpage to few major sections:
>
> - demuxer/input options (input media options)
> - codecs, vfilters options (decoding/filtering options)
> - output (ao/vo) options (ao/vo devices settings)
> - mplayer specific options (mostly controls playback flow, looping etc)
> - mencoder specific options (out codec selection+options, -pass etc)
>
> then we may do ln -s mplayer.1 mencoder.1

I think that would be the best and most elegant way. But I'm not
capable to divide all the options or I haven't got enought time.
I'm tired of all this translation work I still have to do!
(Funny to read ~20 big doc-cvs ci to translate ;)

> the other possible solution is splitting manpages to 3 manpage - mpcommon,
> mplayer and mencoder... but it woul dbe hard to handle by users
> note that few big projects, like ncurses or X11 uses this semantics

Don't like that solution but it would be easier to achieve..

Just tell me what to do of this list or add something:
  - first structure variant (I could try)
  - second structure variant
  - german translation of html-docs (already much work),
    future: sgml-docs translation
  - fix typos in german docs (full of them from old maintainer
    and me too)
  - german translation of both manpages
  - ci one of the patches as I probably won't find the time to
    achieve things before release
  -> would at least include doc changes
  -> let someone else continue/begin with new structure
  - nothing, be quiet, whatever...

tired but still willing
    Jonas