[MPlayer-dev-eng] MplayerXP vs Mplayer. Hall of truth.

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Mar 17 17:22:35 CET 2002

Hi,

> > And you should spend more time on 3DNow optimizing!
agree!

> Do you want to speedup mplayer on 10-30%?
> I've speedup it on 200-300%! Why don't want such solid speedup and still int
> erested
> in invisible performance grow?

it's not more than your dreams or false suspects...

avg benchmark won't change, so it won't be faster a single bit!
it will be smoother on systems fast enough for avg decoding but not fast
enough for decoding very complex frames in time.

the only thing which can realize 200-300% speedup is method-2 direct
rendering using single buffer in video ram, so for example divxvfw+dga.
Acki (vo_dga author) could play middle size divx on p1 200 mmx + dga with
no framedrops. Also windows media player can, using the same trick.

> I planed to use libvo and libao as static libraries ;)
hehe

they have to be changed to dynamic to solve binary packaging, and anyway the
vo drivers don't have cpu-sensitive code. the codecs actually has.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team