[MPlayer-dev-eng] XviD stuff

Christoph Lampert gruel at web.de
Thu Mar 7 18:17:10 CET 2002

Hi,
once again no correct quoting, sorry.

Ar'pi wrote something like:
> XviD should concentrate on encoding, not decoding.

We are, but to be a "codec" you need "co" and "dec".
And it's stupid work implementing new features like
B-frames if there is no open source way of decoding them.
I doubt that many people in the windows world use ffmpeg,
so both project have their right of existence.

Somebody else (sorry, sorry!!! I can't read the mail while writing,
stupid system) wrote something like:
> I never had success using XviD for decoding with MPlayer.

Strange... I had, by simply replacing libdivxdecore with libxvidcore.
But since ffmpeg is faster, Ar'pi is right. There is no real need
for using XviD with mplayer at the moment. Still it's always good to
have an alternative and some competition...

Sorry, I have to fly (take that literally ;-)

gruel