[MPlayer-dev-eng] encoding to huffyuv

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Jun 29 15:41:29 CEST 2002

Hi,

> I want to do higher quality capturing on slow machine eg capture to a losless format and then co
> mpress. Huffyuv seems to be good choice for the capturing so if noone adds support for it to men
> coder or plans to do so I would do it. The usage of huffyuv is not fundamental though, if someon

great, you have to implement a ve_*.c file, and link it to makefile, ve.c
see other ve_* for example
the main point is converting the c++ code from public huffyuv source to unix c

> e has smart ideas about highspeed losless compression I would like to implement them.

i had ideas, and also Szymon Grabowsky told me several ideas and pascal code
years ago, when we worked on improvint the ESP packer's image compression.

huffyuv is very basic in this area, it does simple delta & huffman.
Szymon's coder was a bit slower, but it had about 10 different preprocessing
algo for pixel lines. It ran all them on the same line, counted variance and
choosen the best, then coded the algo id and tehn huff coded the resulting
line. it gave about 20-30% better result than simple delta coding, but
slower encoding. note, that with mmx it shouldn't be so slow on today's cpus

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team