[MPlayer-dev-eng] thoughts on cdparanoia

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Tue Jun 11 20:50:24 CEST 2002

Hi Arpi,

on Tue, 11 Jun 2002 20:30:02 +0200 you wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Hey, I saw that Alban just added support for playing audio CDs through
> > the cdparanoia library. IMHO, it would be very cool to make this
> > stream source so it can play back other file types (as opposed to just
> > raw audio) stored as cdda tracks. Then it would be possible to store
> > an playback large mpeg4 movies this way with mplayer. Of course
> > there's no graceful error handling this way, and it can already be
>
> mplayer -vcd 1
>
> .so made mode2 cd containing teh raw avi file as a track
>
> > done with cdparanoia|mplayer, but by using the paranoia library
> yep, paranoia may help here, and also on video cds to fix errors
> it would be a cool feature to playback bad quality vcd disks unplayable
> with other players :)
>
> but, isn't that paranoia thing implemented as stream?
> (i didn't read albeus patch yet)

It is implemented as a stream, the cache is requiered I think. I never tried without but I
don't think you'll get a good playback. I read the cdparanoia FAQ and it seems that it's
only for audio. For exemple it correct some scratch using interpolation to replace the
missing data. Don't kown if it will work good very good to recover non-audio data.
If you want to try with another format just hack the demuxer_open function to use another
demuxer than the rawaudio one.
	Albeu