[MPlayer-dev-eng] RPM package for next release - RH7.2/7.3 glibc issue

Dominik Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sun Jun 2 14:57:53 CEST 2002

On Sunday, 02 June 2002, Felix Buenemann wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 May 2002 22:37, Dominik Mierzejewski wrote:
> > Hi.
> > I've upgraded from RH7.2 to 7.3. Just today my friend with 7.2 had problems
> > installing my freshly compiled RPM. It turns out that the new glibc-2.2.5
> > package in 7.3 provides a dependency that's not in 7.2's glibc.
> > And since mplayer gets linked against glibc (obviously :->), we have
> > a problem - the packages I build from now on won't install on 7.2.
>
> Strange, I thought different glibc subversions releases must be introperable,
> so only 2.3 would be allowed to be incompatible from 2.2.x.

Oh, they are. I think this is because I'm building mplayer with gcc3-3.0.4,
because none of the distro pkgs have "libc.so.6(GCC_3.0)" dependency.
If I build with RH's default compiler gcc-2.96-110, this dependency vanishes.

> Btw. why not install 7.2 minaml dev sys in a virtual machine?

I was thinking about chrooted builder environment.

--
MPlayer RPMs: http://msp-190.man.olsztyn.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann(at)rangers.eu.org>