[MPlayer-dev-eng] DocBook docs for download

Andras Mohari mayday at varoshaza.nagyatad.hu
Thu Jul 18 09:57:38 CEST 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 02:50:19 +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Andras Mohari writes:
>  >
>  > The documentation (source and HTML) is available (for a while) at
>  >
>  > 	http://www.nagyatad.hu/mpdoc
>
> Nice to see this.  Looks quite good.  I especially like the code
> sections with gray background.

Thanks. ;)

> - What are those <fake> tags that appear in the HTML source?

Looks like they were generated by xsltproc.  I've upgraded to
version 1.0.18 and they are gone...

> - I suppose the <para>s inside of <listitem>s create the unnecessary
>   linebreaks after each bullet in the bulleted lists.

After each _bullet_?  I don't understand it.  I use Opera, and
<listitem><para> produces something like this:

	* item 1 blabla
	  lots of text
			(<-- Is this the unnecessary linebreak?)
	* item 2 blabla
	  lots of text

<listitem><simpara> looks like this:

	* item 1 blabla
	  lots of text
	* item 2 blabla
	  lots of text

I have no other browsers (except for lynx and links).

>   This does not look good and makes some listitems overlap.  Maybe you
>   should leave out the <para>s there.

(Please show me where/how exactly they overlap, I haven't seen this
(or just don't know what you mean).)

I can't leave out <para>s.  I can use <simpara>s instead, but they
can't have block level elements inside them (it is not always a problem).
<listitem> is not the same as <li> in HTML: you can't
simply put text inside a <listitem>.
If anyone knows how to use block level elements inside <listitem>s
without having linebreaks between the list items...please tell me.

> > I'll continue working on the docs, but I'm rather busy this week.
>
> I've been thinking about this a bit, I really do not want to stop your
> enthusiasm, but we are probably duplicating a lot of work at the
> moment.  XML and HTML docs are already out of sync and this will only
> get worse.  0.90 will ship with HTML docs, the switch to XML will be
> afterwards.  How about making the conversion then?  We could freeze
> the documentation for a week or two and then add all updates to the
> XML version.  This way you do not have to track the changes to the
> HTML and we do not have to try to keep the XML in sync...
>
> What do you think?

It's fine with me.  (Note that 'Usage' is finished, so the version
you've downloaded is not the latest.)
I'll wait.

Regards,
--