[MPlayer-dev-eng] [DOCS] restructured faq.html

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Thu Jul 18 04:22:36 CEST 2002

Felix Buenemann writes:
 > On Thursday 11 July 2002 04:00, Diego Biurrun wrote:
 > > Arpi once mentioned that he dislikes faq.html having a table structure
 > > and I have always agreed.  I thinks it's a little bit of overkill and
 > > errors always creep in when hand editing HTML tables, just scroll to
 > > the bottom of this page:
 > >
 > > http://www.mplayerhq.hu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/main/DOCS/faq.html?re
 > >v=1.86&content-type=text/html
 > >
 > > So I have restructured the FAQ to a definition list, so every entry
 > > looks like this (the third line creates an empty line between FAQ
 > > entries):
 > >
 > > <dt>Q: What does "No such file or directory" mean?</dt>
 > > <dd>A: Probably there is no such file or directory.</dd>
 > > <dd>&nbsp;</dd>
 > >
 > > Compare that to:
 > >
 > > <TD>&nbsp;&nbsp;</TD><TD VALIGN=top>Q:</TD><TD WIDTH="100%"><B>What does
 > > "No such file or directory" mean? </B></TD><TR><TD></TD><TD
 > > VALIGN=top>A:</TD><TD>Probably there is no such file or directory.
 > > </TD><TR><TD COLSPAN=3>&nbsp;</TD><TR>
 > >
 > > All questions are set as bold with this CSS snippet:
 > >
 > >       dt        {font-weight : bold;}
 > >

 > > I believe you will agree that this is much nicer and it does more
 > > closely represent the semantical structure of the document.  I'd like
 > > to apply this, please let me know what you think of it.
 >
 > This looks very ugly in my browser as the answers are shiftet to the right,

That's a feature, not a bug ;-)
No, honestly, I like that.  This way it is very easy to tell question
and answer apart even if your browser does not support stylesheets and
does not render questions bold.

 > how about instead simply using either:
 >  A: blub
 >
 > or:
 >
 > Where probably the first one will look worse than the second, but has less
 > code overhead.

Actually, they look almost identical, but paragraphs do have a lot
less overhead:

vs

  A: Probably there is no such file or directory.</p>

 > Another possibility would be using ordered or unordered list (probably ordered
 > is god idea so we can refer quickly to it - "FAQ Entry #7"):
 >
 > <ol>
 >  <li>
 >   A: blah
 >  </li>

Possible, yes, this would look like this:

Low overhead also.

I've put up a few examples for comparison into a small HTML document.
Just point your browser here:

http://www.biurrun.de/mplayer/faq.html

or look at the attached file.

What do you think?