[MPlayer-dev-eng] [DOCS] restructured faq.html

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 12 05:33:22 CEST 2002

On Thursday 11 July 2002 04:00, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Arpi once mentioned that he dislikes faq.html having a table structure
> and I have always agreed.  I thinks it's a little bit of overkill and
> errors always creep in when hand editing HTML tables, just scroll to
> the bottom of this page:
>
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/main/DOCS/faq.html?re
>v=1.86&content-type=text/html
>
> So I have restructured the FAQ to a definition list, so every entry
> looks like this (the third line creates an empty line between FAQ
> entries):
>
> <dt>Q: What does "No such file or directory" mean?</dt>
> <dd>A: Probably there is no such file or directory.</dd>
> <dd>&nbsp;</dd>
>
> Compare that to:
>
> <TD>&nbsp;&nbsp;</TD><TD VALIGN=top>Q:</TD><TD WIDTH="100%"><B>What does
> "No such file or directory" mean? </B></TD><TR><TD></TD><TD
> VALIGN=top>A:</TD><TD>Probably there is no such file or directory.
> </TD><TR><TD COLSPAN=3>&nbsp;</TD><TR>
>
> All questions are set as bold with this CSS snippet:
>
>       dt        {font-weight : bold;}
>

> I believe you will agree that this is much nicer and it does more
> closely represent the semantical structure of the document.  I'd like
> to apply this, please let me know what you think of it.

This looks very ugly in my browser as the answers are shiftet to the right,
how about instead simply using either:
 A: blub

or:

Where probably the first one will look worse than the second, but has less
code overhead.

Another possibility would be using ordered or unordered list (probably ordered
is god idea so we can refer quickly to it - "FAQ Entry #7"):

<ol>
 <li>
  A: blah
 </li>