[MPlayer-dev-eng] Using gettext in MPlayer

Andras Mohari mayday at varoshaza.nagyatad.hu
Wed Jul 3 14:39:09 CEST 2002

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 07:50:19 -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 10:13:29AM +0200, Andras Mohari wrote:
> IIRC, the discussion about gettext in the archives ended in Arpi et al
> deciding gettext wasn't portable enough and they didn't like the
> interface, or something, so whoever was working on this stuff was
> going to write their own gettext-like code. Read the archives though
> -- I may be remembering incorrectly.

The last thing I found was posted by A'rpi on June 26 (mplayer-users):
> > And another question: Arpi, do you mind against GNU gettext usage
> > instead of hard-coded strings?
> no
> there was even some work on gettext support, but no one was interested
> enough to do it well... anyway i'm not sure in that we really need it.

True, developers don't really need it. Translators do. :)

Also, I found A'rpi's suggestion for a gettext-replacement. While
better than the current help_mp-??.h stuff, it still has some
problems:
* Updated translations can't be used without recompiling MPlayer.
* Translators have to edit source files, paying attention to
  #ifdefs and the like...
* You might need to develop some tools to aid translators
  (something like help_diff.sh).

Regards,
--
Andras Mohari