[MPlayer-dev-eng] xine avi subtitle decoder licensing issue

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Thu Jan 31 08:26:43 CET 2002

Hello, Guenter!

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:21:57 +0100 (CET) you wrote:

> Hiho,

> > > huh? mplayer uses xine's version of the sputext decoder?! ... I guess this
> > > is where licensing issues are getting really strange #-))
> >
> > heh?
> >
> > i mean the original code written by laaz for mplayer does handle
> > unicode, so your statement 'cannot handle unicode' is false. or is it
> > xine's fault ?
>
> I was referring to xine's avi subtitle decoder (see the subject line of
> this mail?) - and I have some bug reports here that it doesn't handle
> unicode properly (among other things). I haven't had time yet to
> investigate this further - that's why I'm saying that the code needs to be
> worked on.
>
> Back to my original question: Is there anybody in your team who can tell
> me if you see some licensing issues with xine's sputext decoder ?
>
> Depending on your answer I'll either try to fix the code (if there are no
> licensing issues) or re-write it from scratch.

I guess that every source in mplayer which doesn't contain licence line is
covered by mplayer's licence!!! Please see documentation.html:

#MPlayer is basically GPL, but contains some non-GPL code which is not
#allowed to be distributed in binary form, and also contains the OpenDivX
#library which has special license. We are still developing towards GPL.

In this case nobody can say which licence covers this file. Therefore
it's covered by GPL.

Am I wrong, Arpi?

> > then how related is it to this thread?
>
> my point exactly - this thread is about licensing issues with the xine spu
> text decoder, not about what mplayer can do or not >:->

Why? It's interested question too ;) And I would be glad to discuss this subj!