[MPlayer-dev-eng] xine avi subtitle decoder licensing issue

Guenter Bartsch bartscgr at t-online.de
Wed Jan 30 18:21:57 CET 2002

Hiho,

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Arpi wrote:

> > > strange. it handles unicode in mplayer...
> >
> > huh? mplayer uses xine's version of the sputext decoder?! ... I guess this
> > is where licensing issues are getting really strange #-))
>
> heh?
>
> i mean the original code written by laaz for mplayer does handle
> unicode, so your statement 'cannot handle unicode' is false. or is it
> xine's fault ?

I was referring to xine's avi subtitle decoder (see the subject line of
this mail?) - and I have some bug reports here that it doesn't handle
unicode properly (among other things). I haven't had time yet to
investigate this further - that's why I'm saying that the code needs to be
worked on.

Back to my original question: Is there anybody in your team who can tell
me if you see some licensing issues with xine's sputext decoder ?

Depending on your answer I'll either try to fix the code (if there are no
licensing issues) or re-write it from scratch.

> then how related is it to this thread?

my point exactly - this thread is about licensing issues with the xine spu
text decoder, not about what mplayer can do or not >:->

Cheers,

   Guenter

--
time is a funny concept