[MPlayer-dev-eng] "Stitching" Artifact

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Jan 27 04:46:23 CET 2002

Hi,

> 	As an aside, why is the color ordering BGR instead of RGB? Does it
> have something to do with endian-ness? It's bitten me on every RGB codec
> I've implemented so far.

It's an old story.. and too late to change :)
In early days, when I added rgb support to libvo, there were X11 and opengl
driver which needed RGB. X11 and OpenGL needed different byte order.
So I've used the "names" from the opengl, but its RGB means BGR on X11.
I think it's because OpenGL came from SGI, which uses different byte order
than intel cpu. So, the RGB in mplayer is in opengl naming terminology,
I think it's standard enough and means the same on every platforms out there.
Anyway, for x86 rgb stuffs (like X11, PNG, codecs etc) it's BGR...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu