[MPlayer-dev-eng] Patch confirmation : Splitting config in each modules

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Sat Jan 19 13:28:20 CET 2002

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 02:55:54 +0200 (CEST)
Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> wrote:

> Ok. I don't really understand wht and why does this patch do, and won't
> commit it now. Let me to understand first. If I understood right, it splits
> current configfile to many small ones. I see no sense doing that...
	There two good things for me, first we get rid of many unsueful global
	var, two (don't really know it's so good) the developpers can
	add, remove options concerning their stuff without messing up
	cfg-*.h files all time (better for experimental stuff).
> But now some more serious things.
> Your configplaytree stuff is great, in theory. But it seems in practice it
> doesn't work at all, at least not as it should.
> You said:
>   mplayer [global/common opts] file1 [file1opts] file2 [file2opts] ...
> and it would be ok, as it doesn't change old behaviour (options could be
> placed before _AND_ after the single filename, order doesn't matter)
>
> But now it ONLY works if you place non-global options BEFORE the filename.
> users don't know (and don't want to accept) this, neither us.
> Please don't change mplayer behaviour, it just make trouble, much more than
> profit!!!
	I always said global options (those with the CONF_GLOBAL flag) can be
	anywhere. I perhaps forgot one or two. currentlly it include lircconf,
	gui, nogui, skin, slave, quiet, verbose, v, [-]help and h for mplayer.
	For mencoder just verbose and v.
	Perhaps you misunderstand (because of my funky english) when I said that
	if an options is causing trouble putting it before the first filename will generally
	fix the issue. I don't want it stay so, I just said this to help other continue using
	the options they need until the problem is fixed.
> Just imagine, if we replace space and enter keys on a keyboard. Maybe it's
> better for us, as we can use the big button for space and teh long one at
> middle for enter. But 98% of users would kill us!
	Sure !!!!!!
> Now the same happened with mplayer...
	I'd like to see exactly what you are talking about (ie an option combo
	wich don't behave as you excpected).
> It's better not to imagine what would happen if we make a release now :(
	A release have just happended, you don't want to make release all
	2 week, don't you ;).
> Btw, -slang/-alang are broken, and i'm sure it's because of your config
> mods. they actually modifies the values of -aid/-vid options, so maybe your
> config stuff overwrites it.
	I don't have a DVD drive, nor a TV card and not any VCD, so for all this
	three things I can't do very much testing (especially for DVD).
	Perhaps somebody is willing to give me DVD drive ;-).
	Anyway I have a fix wich _should_ work but I CAN'T TEST IT.
> Please fix these ASAP ((TM) D.Holm) because of everyone is angry including me.
	I fell very sorry.
> And keep reading -users list, there are lots of bugreports about this.
	I saw one about alang/slang but I can't really undestand why it's caused by
	my code (possible). Looking at the user's log he just use -dvd x some_options
	and in this case my code simply don't tuch the options values.
> Some people asked me to simply reverse the patch. I don't want to do it, but
> at worst case i WILL do it :(
	Please no, I keep working very much on this stuff.
> I should have test it more before commiting (and you too, of course), so
> it's my fault too. Sorry.
	It's more mine because I should have putted all this stuff in conditional
	compile from the beginning.

Albeu