[MPlayer-dev-eng] Patch confirmation : Splitting config in each modules

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Jan 19 01:55:54 CET 2002

Hi,

> Here is patch to put each config option where it belong (in its modules) and remove
> many global vars. I post it before because it make many changes (in fact many small
> but on many files) and I want to know if it's ok in this way. The only problem for
> me is that all options are not anymore in the same file but broken in the whole tree.
> But I can do an option wich list all others ;).
> Anyway if you think it must be commited do it because I will not be able to do it until
> tomorow wich can be too late for this patch (it patch 31 files).
> It also correct a few bugs in playtree/config discovered along the way.
> 	Albeu

Ok. I don't really understand wht and why does this patch do, and won't
commit it now. Let me to understand first. If I understood right, it splits
current configfile to many small ones. I see no sense doing that...

But now some more serious things.
Your configplaytree stuff is great, in theory. But it seems in practice it
doesn't work at all, at least not as it should.
You said:
  mplayer [global/common opts] file1 [file1opts] file2 [file2opts] ...
and it would be ok, as it doesn't change old behaviour (options could be
placed before _AND_ after the single filename, order doesn't matter)

But now it ONLY works if you place non-global options BEFORE the filename.
users don't know (and don't want to accept) this, neither us.
Please don't change mplayer behaviour, it just make trouble, much more than
profit!!!

Just imagine, if we replace space and enter keys on a keyboard. Maybe it's
better for us, as we can use the big button for space and teh long one at
middle for enter. But 98% of users would kill us!
Now the same happened with mplayer...
It's better not to imagine what would happen if we make a release now :(

Btw, -slang/-alang are broken, and i'm sure it's because of your config
mods. they actually modifies the values of -aid/-vid options, so maybe your
config stuff overwrites it.

Please fix these ASAP ((TM) D.Holm) because of everyone is angry including me.
And keep reading -users list, there are lots of bugreports about this.

Some people asked me to simply reverse the patch. I don't want to do it, but
at worst case i WILL do it :(

I should have test it more before commiting (and you too, of course), so
it's my fault too. Sorry.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu