[MPlayer-dev-eng] Help With The FILM Format

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Fri Jan 18 03:50:51 CET 2002

Hi team,
	I've made a little more headway in figuring out the FILM file
format. Namely, I noticed that the files can contain both audio and video
interleaved (I thought they could just contain video at first). I don't
know how to load audio via the demuxer subsystem. I still don't have the
Cinepak video decoding properly, either.

	So I've decided to ask for some help. Everything I've figured out
about the format so far has been posted at my CRI site:
  http://www.pcisys.net/~melanson/codecs/film-format.txt
Note that the stuff I've written may or may not be correct. Everything
I've figured out is from empirical observation. I've uploaded 3 FILM files
to the FTP site, under the incoming/filmformat directory. One is a full
movie, but the other 2 are partials for the sake of quick
downloading. Fortunately, they're also from 3 different games, so they'll
hopefully stress different quirks of the format.

	If any of you demuxing wizards would like to help out on this one,
I would appreciate it. I'm also going to ask Tim Ferguson to look at the
Cinepak data because I think it may deviate from the usual stuff.

	Thanks...
--
	-Mike Melanson