[MPlayer-dev-eng] [Suggest] Add a proxy option for network streaming

Bertrand Baudet bertrand_baudet at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 07:44:59 CET 2002

On Saturday 12 January 2002 01:58 pm, you wrote:
> Bertrand Baudet writes:
> > To use a proxy just add proxy://hostname:port in front of the URL of your
> > stream for example:
> >
> > ./mplayer proxy://squid_server:3128/http://the_server:port/stream
>
> The environment variable 'http_proxy' is the traditional way to set
> this session wide.  It would be nice if it were supported.

Ok, I added support for this and renamed the proxy protocol in the above
example as http_proxy -ie- :
./mplayer http_proxy://squid_server:3128/http://the_server:port/stream

Now mplayer is always checking for the http_proxy environment variable
and if present it will use it.

If the http_proxy environment variable is set and the URL given to mplayer
also contain a http_proxy, the one in the URL is used.

Does someone is taking care about updating the documentation or
should I take care of it for the addition of proxy support?

Bertrand