[MPlayer-dev-eng] ao_oss.c is lame ;)

Anders Johansson ajh at atri.curtin.edu.au
Mon Jan 14 02:38:44 CET 2002

Hi,

If you want to have resampling enabled you have to specify it
explicitly. There is no automatic enabling of audio plugins (we had a
long discussion about this before you entered the development).
In your case you would have to start mplayer like this:

mplayer -aop list=resample:fout=48000 movie.xxx

observe that non multiple of two resampling still have some problems
in the synchronisation (sync is drifting), I am currently working on
this.

Cheers,
//Ander

> Hi,
> to whoever wrote ao_oss.c. Apparently this driver does not use the
> available audio plugins to resample audio to the correct format. I
> recently dropped the ao_dxr3 driver since we have now made the kernel
> module fully oss compliant. But the em8300 only supports 44100Hz or
> higher. Instead of upsampling sound ao_oss falls back to the default
> mode for the dxr3 (48000Hz) and tries to play back samples without using
> the proper upsampling. Resulting in terrible syncloss and audio playing
> back too fast.
> Can someone update ao_oss to use pl_resample when need be, or do I have
> to do it?
>
> //David Holm

Anders Johansson    Room 314,113  Australian Telecommunications .-_|\
Visiting Research Associate       Research Institute (ATRI)    /     \
telephone:  +61 8 9266 3268       Curtin Uni of Technology     P_.-._/
e-mail: ajh at atri.curtin.edu.au            Bentley WA, 6102.         o