[MPlayer-dev-eng] awk...

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Jan 12 22:07:18 CET 2002

Hi,

Hey, guys. Today mailing here was terrible...

Let me tell what do i think.
Nick wants to develop some new driver api and port his drivers.
He uses gawk for this work. He can't/doesn't want test with other
versions of awk. I feel the same as with gcc 2.9six.
We don't want to support that version. We know our code works with
2.95 and with 3.x (is there still any 3.x specific problems ?)
(note: wvm8 thing was actually our (actually Kabi's) bug)

I agree with Nick, he tested with gawk, so supports only it.
If somebody have mawk/xawk/yawk/etc then he should test it and
report if it works or send patch to make it work.

You shouldn't send 50+ mails of flame, just a mail: hey, it works with mawk
here. Add support to mawk too.

We're fortunatelly over this awk shitty, but it will occurs in the future
again with other stuff. MPlayer has more and more dependencies.

Btw, I also agree with Gabucino in that drivers/ dir should be moved out
from mplayer cvs one level. Or two.

We should create cvs modules named mga-driver ati-driver or just mga and
ati. And move driver stuff there. Ati users can checkout main and
ati-driver, matro xuserscan checkout main and mga-driver and others can
checkout only main and maybe skins.

Btw, Nick: you shouldn't commit binary files to CVS.
And commiting the pciids gzipped is a very very bad idea.
- cvs uses gzip to transfer patches from server to clients.
  so compressing won't save any bits of doenload for users
- cvs log doesn't work for binary files, changes are untrackable.
  i think only few lines of pciids changes so you'd better commiting
  the text version. and update it frequently.
  or just let users to get it from SF or their /usr/share/pci/
  (detected by ./configure)

I was always against copying other CVS trees to our. It only causes desync
and redundant data on user's machine.

Btw, do you plan to work on liba52 3dnow stuff, or not?
In later case, i'll merge changes back to liba52 and remove it from our cvs.
(letting users to get it from liba52 cvs, just like libavcodec)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu