[MPlayer-dev-eng] latest CVS

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Sat Jan 12 18:34:53 CET 2002

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 17:32:27 +0100
Gábor Lénárt <lgb at lgb.hu> wrote:

> Imho, if at least two distribution indicates
> that gawk is not a standard, we should follow this (whatever this is true or
> not).

Not only because of that: Protability is also a reason.

I just checked, Debian provides 3 different awk versions:
mawk (default), gawk and original-awk (Description: The original awk
described in "The AWK Programming Language").
BTW: with debian all 3 can be installed and all of then could be
used as /usr/bin/awk (update-alternatives)
The script works fine with all three of them, but as i wrote
in my previous mail, it does _not_ with solaris awk
(even not with the one of solaris 8).

So we should add it to the ./configure script rather than
"hardwiring" it to the makefile.

> Please use standard awk instead of gawk. It's more portable and you won't
> worry about awk implementation installed. Oh, and another point: mawk
> is faster than gawk ...

It is mostly standard awk as far as i can see (though i'm not an awk
expert).

		Attila Kinali
--
I am a moslem, i am a terrorist.