[MPlayer-dev-eng] latest CVS

Bjoern Fischer bfischer at Techfak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Sat Jan 12 18:17:31 CET 2002

> > > maybe gawk should be detected by configure (and mention, that it is
> > > required for compile) ?
> > We shouldn't require gawk for compiling.
> >
> Maybe we shouldn't require file and text utils for compiling too?
> Do you have Linux (or FreeBSD) from scratch?
> gawk is very little utiliy which is ported on lots of operating systems
> it produces approx 1MB of C header and sources from 200Kb database.
> gawk existed alway on *nix system so why we shouldn't require that?

Although gawk (GNU awk) is available for the vast majority of Unices,
it is not included out of the box in most cases (exceptions are most
Linux distros and some BSDs). But it is fair to expect that a *nix or
*nix-like OS has *an* awk implementation by default, which should be
POSIX compliant. Which portions of gawk are POSIX and which ones are
GNU extensions should be described in the man page or texinfo doc for
gawk. Or, if unsure, one may look into the Single Unix Specification
V2 (the POSIX specs are not available w/o paying for it). It describes
what features a POSIX/SUS2 compliant awk must have:
  http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xcu/awk.html

If you have gawk you may perform a quick test of your awk script using
the gawk options --traditional or --posix.

-Björn