[MPlayer-dev-eng] Alternatives to DivX4linux?

Chris Bednar cjb at AdvancedDataSolutions.com
Thu Jan 10 17:21:22 CET 2002

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Bjoern Fischer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> has anyone looked into http://www.videocoding.de/? They started from
> the last open source OpenDivX and made major improvements. For certain
> features they claim to be better than OpenDivX 4.12.

    I've been looking into it (there's a little discussion about
it on this list from a few days ago; scan the subjects for XviD).
Actually, what I've looked into so far is the ``old'' libraries
that they have there, under decore/ and encore2/; I haven't figured
out whether the new stuff in core/ is useable just yet.

    What I'm planning is just to provide a couple of patches to
the decore/ directory that fix a namespace problem, and that put
the brightness control in (at least in the generic code; I'm not
eager to play with mmx) and maybe contrast, too. I've used it for
`-vo xv' output, and the brightness control works, so hopefully
it would be trivial for someone who knows the code better than I
to extend it to the accelerated code.

    That would just give us a basic setup that we could use while
the videocoding guys finalize what they have (actually, I've looked
into their new library, and it still has a namespace conflict and
doesn't implement the brightness control). I think I can have this
much working this weekend.

    If anyone from videocoding is listening, I'd like to know what
they think, too...

---- ``Windows: It does that sometimes.''  -mattdm
Chris J. Bednar
Director, Distributed Computing Product Group
http://AdvancedDataSolutions.com/