[MPlayer-dev-eng] TODO

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Jan 10 14:08:16 CET 2002

Hi,

> > Nice, but imho resizing should be done on font loading time, to avoid
> > wasted CPU power during each sub drawing process. Also, maybe we can implement
> > setting font size ON run-time by calling font-set resizer function on resizing
> > request. The only important opinion from me is to do resizing all signs at
> > once and not at displaying for each sub/OSD sign.
>
> I want to do it once. it does not make sense
> to scaling every time we draw a font.

hey, resizing bitmap fonts is weird idea... it looks terrible :(
let's generate fonts runtime from .ttf, at given size and codepage and other
stuff. the font generator code runs <1s on medium systems for ascii set.
for big unicode sets (korean etc) it may took too long :(

but we could add font cacheing. for example, user could set a max disk space
to keep most common font sets...

the only drawbacks are:
- runtime generation tooks some time (<1s on most systems and small font
sizes, but if Michael optimize it it will even build korean 50ppt font at
0.1s :)))
- users need to have freetype library
- users need .ttf fonts (they are not fully legal to distribute, at least
the windows ones, but we could find some free fonts)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu