[MPlayer-dev-eng] Brave GNU World Questions

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Thu Jan 3 17:43:59 CET 2002

Hi team,
	I didn't see any responses to Greve's Brave GNU World Question
set, so I don't know if anyone had already responded privately. In case,
no one has answered, I've hammered out a few answers that could be
submitted, but I thought I would submit them here for comment. I'm worried
that some of my answers may be too technical. Let me know what you think.

--
	-Mike Melanson

QUESTIONS:

 * What is it?
MPlayer is the Movie Player for Linux. The program allows the user to
decode all kinds of movie formats on their Linux computers. Among the
supported movie formats are DVD, MPEG, AVI, ASF, MOV, Vivo, and FLI. Most
of the encoded audio and video streams inside these files can be decoded
by MPlayer, as well.

 * Who would use it?
Anyone who uses Linux and wants to watch movies.

 * Why would they use it instead of similar projects?
There are a lot of movie players for Linux these days, but none have as
many features as MPlayer. This is due to the fact that many similar
projects limit themselves to a handful of file formats and decoders and
lack the underlying architecture to expand.

 * (Programming) language used in this project?
Plain C.

 * Special features/strengths?