[MPlayer-dev-eng] Linux RTC code accepts any frequenzy?

Henrik Brix Andersen btech1 at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 3 14:59:28 CET 2002

Hi,

The RTC code on line 630-something in mplayer.c accepts ANY
preprogrammed frequenzy for the periodic interrupts, is this correct?

Say, if I have a third party application that sets the frequenzy to 2Hz,
and the run mplayer -- It will accept the 2Hz and seem to play the video
rather buggy.

I suggest mplayer sets the frequenzy (using an RTC_IRQP_SET ioctl call)
to some frequenzy that makes sense; if we can keep it below 128Hz it
would be great (As this is the max for a normal non-root user).
I have experimented a bit with 64Hz, and have found it to be alright for
the movies I've tested.

An alternative is to check the value of irqp, and then decide whether to
use RTC timing or one of the alternatives...

Best Regards
./Brix
--
Henrik Brix Andersen <btech1 at users.sourceforge.net>

One Ring To Rule Them All
    One Ring To Find Them
        One Ring To Bring Them All And In The Darkness Bind Them