[MPlayer-dev-eng] A Modest LyX/HTML Example

Daniel Egger degger at fhm.edu
Wed Feb 27 17:44:29 CET 2002

Am Mit, 2002-02-27 um 16.09 schrieb Daniel A. Nagy:

> > It's included in Debian and thus it's free enough. That alone wouldn't
> > matter but LyX is not really the right product to do documentation in.

> Unfortunately, that's not true.

That depends on your view of free enough. :) But yes, you're right
that it's not as free as it used to be.

> LyX is the most convenient editor out there from DocBook/SGML.

No. You're confusing DocBook and LinuxDoc; they're both SGML
formats but quite different with different goals. LyX can
be used to edit a simplified set of LinuxDoc documents but not DocBook.

> It can both import and export in that format.
> If you read the HOWTO-HOWTO, it's the recommended tool for the
> LinuxDoc Project.

My problem with LinuxDoc is that it's quite limitated and the tools
for it are pretty lame and apart from being the standard for the
LinuxDoc project it's far less used than general DocBook.

> I'd recommend to keep the authoritative version in SGML (or XML), but
> encourage the use of lyx for editing it.

Problem with LyX here is that LinuxDoc is not the native fileformat for
it which means that one has to import/export SGML documents which may
screw up badly.

> That'd help a lot, even if you refuse to use LyX.

I've done it before with the gimp-help project which I'm maintaining.
Before something in that area will happen though a few decisions will
have to be made depending on the goals like:
- DTD to use
- Structure
- Output file formats
- Applicaction integratebility