[MPlayer-dev-eng] A Modest LyX/HTML Example

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Wed Feb 27 16:41:48 CET 2002

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> Why not work in just clear LaTeX or texinfo instead? Requiring LyX
> seems to be an unnecessary pain if other people are going to be
> working on the docs too. Last I checked, normal LyX (as opposed to the
> KDE port KLyX) also required XForms which is non-free...

	You must have a very different definition of 'pain' than I do: LyX
is the best and easiest document processor I've ever used in my life. I'm
a little ignorant of LaTeX and texinfo, but tell me, wouldn't those
choices entail having the document maintainers learn a whole new markup
language (or 2) and use a text editor in order to manually maintain the
markup structure? Are there automated tools that hide the details of the
underlying markup language so the author can concentrate on content? If
not, how is LaTeX and texinfo better than the raw HTML that we're
currently maintaining?

	It seems to me that LyX eliminates a lot of the tedium of document
maintenance.

--
	-Mike Melanson