[MPlayer-dev-eng] Decoder With Motion Compensation

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Wed Feb 27 16:59:58 CET 2002

Hi team,
	Okay, so I've been delaying on the task of writing the RoQ video
decoder. This is my first attempt at writing a decoder for
motion-compensated YUV output data. What should I know about implementing
a motion-compensated decoder for MPlayer? Any special facilities I should
be aware of? It seems to me that I need to allocate 2 output buffers to
work with: One for the current frame and one with the previous frame's
data so I can copy YUV data from the last frame to the current one. I've
only written relatively simple RGB decoders so far that only need to
allocate 1 output buffer. I'll need 2 output buffers now, so how should I
allocate them with A'rpi's new allocation scheme that involves something
like:
  imgtype = IMGTYPE_STATIC;
I'm still not quite sure what that's for.

	Also, I saw someone write that there's a new X entension in the
works called XVmc, a common X interface into motion compensation hardware.
How far along is this support? Any plans to support it in MPlayer? Which
video hardware has such MC support?

	Thanks...
--
	-Mike Melanson