[MPlayer-dev-eng] nice info ;)

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Thu Feb 21 16:41:46 CET 2002

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Bohdan Horst wrote:

> http://www.ComputerBytesMan.com/privacy/wmp8dvd.htm
>
> maybe we can use this cookies in mplayer ? ;))

	I checked out the article and it occurred to me that Microsoft
only adds features for one reason: Because their users ask for features.
So it stands to reason that users want their DVD viewing habits to be
monitored. If we ever want MPlayer to seriously compete with WMP, I think
we're going to have to incorporate a similar, privacy-invading feature for
our users. Now, I'm just wondering how we're supposed to come up with a
unique ID string and tie it back to a particular user?

	Seriously, though, are there any open source, online databases
that are essentially the DVD analog of the CDDB? Would this type of thing
even be useful? I don't know much about DVDs, but I thought they would
already carry information like title and chapter information in a table of
contents somewhere.

	Thanks...
--
	-Mike Melanson