[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer GUI

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Mon Feb 18 11:44:09 CET 2002

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 03:30:26PM +0100, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> argh... threads sux, mplayer is not threadsafe at all and won't be...

It's not required mplayer to be thread safe at all for using libpthreads ...
If GUI thread only uses its own resources, only variables, functions etc
which for controlling mplayer according to GUI events are required to be
thread safe ... At least I've done several small projects working this way,
and they're NOT thread safe in general ...

> why don't split the gui from mplayer core? as a frontend, using the improved
> slave_mode to control it?

It can be a good idea as well ... In this GUI and mplayer itself can be
treated as two separated programs, so you can even compile GUI for mplayer
LATER without the need to recompile the while mplayer, and so on ...

> with -windowid we can pass window id to mplayer and it will render video to
> that window. so i see no sense of keeping them in the same binary.

Nice ;-)

- Gábor