[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer GUI

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Feb 17 15:30:26 CET 2002

Hi,

argh... threads sux, mplayer is not threadsafe at all and won't be...

why don't split the gui from mplayer core? as a frontend, using the improved
slave_mode to control it?

the only reason why gui was built into the core was controlling the libvo
window. it is a mess.

with -windowid we can pass window id to mplayer and it will render video to
that window. so i see no sense of keeping them in the same binary.

> Hi David Holm,
>
> on 17 Feb 2002 13:59:02 +0100 you wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > is anyone working on mplayers gui or is it free for anyone to pick it
> > up? It's starting to annoy me that we are loosing users to xine which
> > imho is mostly ripoffs of others sources (I've found numerous files
> > there with mplayer headers ;).
> >
> > I'm not saying that I will pick up the gui but if noone is working on it
> > I might have a look at it.
> About this my opinion is that the GUI should go threaded. One thread for the
>  GUI and
> one wich is the actual main. I know mixing fork and thread is not recommende
> d, but
> once I STFW about this and found nothing intersting. The only thing I found
> is
> that POSIX complient implementations must allow fork from a thread (only the
>  calling
> thread should be forked, not the whole process). The only limitation I know
> is that
> only the thread wich forked can safly send signal to the child. In other wor
> ds
> only the thread who create a child can deal with. This shouldn't be problem
> for us.
>
> Using a threaded approch we can resuse the whole config/playtree stuff and m
> uch
> more, if we use an _intelligent_ locking system (ie no lock in the playing l
> oop).
> 	Albeu

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team