[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer GUI

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Sun Feb 17 14:54:03 CET 2002

Hi David Holm,

on 17 Feb 2002 13:59:02 +0100 you wrote:

> Hi,
> is anyone working on mplayers gui or is it free for anyone to pick it
> up? It's starting to annoy me that we are loosing users to xine which
> imho is mostly ripoffs of others sources (I've found numerous files
> there with mplayer headers ;).
>
> I'm not saying that I will pick up the gui but if noone is working on it
> I might have a look at it.
About this my opinion is that the GUI should go threaded. One thread for the GUI and
one wich is the actual main. I know mixing fork and thread is not recommended, but
once I STFW about this and found nothing intersting. The only thing I found is
that POSIX complient implementations must allow fork from a thread (only the calling
thread should be forked, not the whole process). The only limitation I know is that
only the thread wich forked can safly send signal to the child. In other words
only the thread who create a child can deal with. This shouldn't be problem for us.

Using a threaded approch we can resuse the whole config/playtree stuff and much
more, if we use an _intelligent_ locking system (ie no lock in the playing loop).
	Albeu