[MPlayer-dev-eng] DOCS rewrite

Anders Johansson ajh at atri.curtin.edu.au
Sun Feb 17 11:39:40 CET 2002

Hi,

I have been using LaTeX for the last 4 years it is very powerful but
takes a few hours to learn. I have found the following resources
helpful when writing tex documents:

Books:
The TEXbook by Donald E. Knuth (the guy who wrote the tex engine)
LATEX A Document Preparation System by Leslie Lamport (easy reading)

Web:
The TeX System
http://www.ias.rm.cnr.it/ias-home/tex/doc/helpindex.html

A (La)TeX encyclopedia
http://tex.loria.fr/english/index.html

LaTeX Project Homepage
http://www.latex-project.org/

I have several manuals, beginners guides, examples, etc, in electronic
format that I could send you.

If you convert the documentation into LaTeX you can easily convert it
back to HTML using "latex2html" you also have the possibility to
automatically generate info and man pages from LaTeX source.

Emacs LaTeX mode is very nice and you get good syntax high-lightening.

There are a few WYSIWYG editors for LaTeX but they still suck a bit
(last time I checked anyway).

LaTeX is suitable for automatic text processing so it would be
possible to write an awk script that converted the existing
documentation into LaTeX.

I would be happy to help you converting the manuals into LaTeX, just
send me a mail if you need help. I can read English and some German.

Cheers,
//Anders