[MPlayer-dev-eng] DOCS rewrite

pl p_l at gmx.fr
Sun Feb 17 10:59:21 CET 2002

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 10:21:29AM +0100, Gabucino wrote:

> Attila Kinali didn't RTFM :
> > Plain LaTeX would be IMHO an alternative to the current
> > HTML documentation, as it supports conversion to a lot
> > of other formats with keeping a nice formating.
> I'd need a stuff than can automatically reorder section numbers if I
> insert a new. Which of them would that be?

Both LaTeX and LyX handle this and both can generate <many formats>
outputs. LyX will outputs some TeX which you can then tune and convert
to <whatever>, too.

But with with both tools, you'll need to add an explicit label if you
want to refer something: in LaTeX you type a \label{sthg:blah:foo:bar}
and when you want to refer it \ref{sthg:blah:foo:bar}.  In LyX, you have
to use menu items ("Insert Label" & "Insert Crossref").

LyX is a fine choice if you want to have something available quickly
without the hassle to learn (& struggle with) LaTeX.
(Maybe KLyX is better as Xforms toolkit is rather hmmm... you'll see if
you try :)

Then I guess it's a matter of taste & faith & time :)

--
Best regards,
  pl