[MPlayer-dev-eng] TODO

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Feb 12 11:07:27 CET 2002

Hi,

Just for the reference, and for some discussion, the URGENT section of TODO:
(***=my comments)

URGENT:
- finish mencoder -ovc vfw (bitrate setting, codec selection etc)
  *** Note: codecs.conf should be extended by new field 'in', similar
  to 'out', but describing supported input formats for encoding.
- mencoder: image cut/crop/extend filter, colorspace conversion
  *** Maybe SwScale can do all of these for us?
- codec priority option
  *** Very simple one but very usefull... just needs rewrite of codec
  initializattion (current -afm/-ac -vmf/-vc interpreter) code.
  example: vcpri=ffdivx,odivx,mcmjpeg,mpeg12  means that first these
  codecs should be tried (if it supports the given fourcc) in this order,
  and if none of the listed codecs works then try the remaining in original
  (codecs.conf) order.
- implement software scaling to vo_mpegpes
  *** Hmm. It's mine :)
- ./configure support for XviD
  *** Detecting static or dynamic XviD lib, and optionally use it instead of
  divx4linux (pl?)

runtime:
- add --enable-runtime or something (should change VERSION header and enable
  runtime cpu detect and print banner telling users to recompile for speed)
- runtime cpu detection in:
     vo_dga.c (asm stuff may be removed and replaced by fastmemcpy?)
- test(fix?) mp3lib cpu detection code
*** The whole code should be verified/tested/reviewed for proper runtime cpu
detection support. We should enable it for next release to make binary
distros possible. (and at the same time remove opendivx code, now it's really
obsoleted by XviD)

I think, as soon as we're over these, we should make a new release.
Then, some more, just the interesting and easier ones:

- fix seeking with libmad audio codec (codec lost sync and can't resync?)
- fix cvid on ppc
- implement Ogg demuxer
- implement seeking for YUV4MPEG_2_, NuppelVideo and Real
- define some common api for native audio and video codecs
- add ogg/vorbis audio encoder

(anyway i wanna see fix for these bugs too before the release, but nobody
seems to be interested in these :()

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team