[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer Plays FILM Files

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Sun Feb 10 02:14:20 CET 2002

Hi team,
	I've finished the FILM demuxer (both video and audio) and I've
figured out how the Cinepak video in the files is different than normal
video. It's my wager that the creators of the FILM files didn't want the
CVID data to be fed into a general purpose Cinepak decoder. I modified our
Cinepak decoder to handle the quirks. These movies look very good at
fullscreen, hardware-scaled YUV resolution.

	Congratulations; to my knowledge, MPlayer is the first
fully-native Linux application that can understand FILM files and decode
the deviant Cinepak data within. In fact, I believe it's the first
non-Japanese PC application that can do the same.

	I've uploaded another FILM sample into incoming/FILM (it's the
full version of one of the partials) so you can check out the
support. A'rpi, please move it to the permanent space (and you can get
rid of the *-partial.cpk files since they're so short and not very
interesting to watch).

	BTW, thanks to all responsible for the MPlayer project, a project
where I could just drop in a few code modules, and get this format to play
without having to worry about implementing a ton of other support
code. Keep up the great work, team.

--
	-Mike Melanson