[MPlayer-dev-eng] mencoder encoding speed issues

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Feb 3 00:30:48 CET 2002

from my experience, over 2/3 of the time spent encoding divx with mp3
audio (using libavcodec + lame) seems to be spent on the audio -- this
is on my k6-2/450. in particylar, mencoder encodes 320x240 video at
about 32 fps when using -oac copy, and at less than 7 fps when using
lame. this seems quite excessive to me -- shouldn't the bulk of time
spent be on video, not audio?

is anyone interested in optimizing lame for speed, and including our
own high-performance version with mplayer? or would it be wise to look
towards other better-performing encoders? libavcodec's mp2 encoder is
extremely fast but sounds rather bad; however since we already have
libavcodec integrated it might be the easiest. another good option,
although i think the code might be a huge mess, is gogo. it's very
fast (10x realtime or so on my box) and has decent quality. i used to
use it for streaming live content and it worked quite well.

any thoughts on this issue?

rich

p.s. i've already compiled lame with optimizations and quality
sacrifices for speed, and it doesn't seem to make any significant
differences to mencoder speed.