[MPlayer-dev-eng] more questions about the documentation

Jonas Jermann jjermann at gmx.net
Tue Dec 10 20:18:13 CET 2002

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 07:59:03PM +0100, Moritz Bunkus wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I noticed that the German translation contains a whole section about
> video filters (it's 2.6.x, located in DOCS/German/documentation.html),
> but the 'English original' does not contain such a section (anymore?).
> The question is whether I should also discard the German one or if I
> should translate it to English and provide a patch. I searched the
> other translations and noticed that only the Polish translation
> contains this chapter so I guess that it was removed intentionally.
>
> Am I right? If yes, is tech/vop.txt the 'replacement'?

Yes. No. The man page is the replacement (should be).

> Another question. At the moment the docs under tech/ seem not to be
> translated. Should I translate them as well?

IMHO it's not needed at all, they are (should be) for developers
only. BTW: You know that translating the MPlayer documentation is
hard work, do you? The normal documentation and the man page
should be enough... ;))

Just orient you on the english manual. It has to be the guidance
anyway. If you want to add new things first add them in the
english manual, never in the translated one.
There have been many discussion about how the documentation
should be structured. I'm too tired to summerize it and I have not
much free time. The archives may help.

Regards
    Jonas