[MPlayer-dev-eng] wishlist round 0

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue Dec 10 01:15:33 CET 2002

Gentlemen,

you probably did not believe what you saw on -cvslog just now and I
did not even believe it myself so to say, but the wishlist is finally
there.  I already removed a few entries that have become a reality in
the meantime and I think we might as well repopulate it with new
wishes.  Should go much faster now that it finally exists ;-)

Here it is for easy reference, just start wishing away once more.
Comments and clarifications also welcome, of course, some entries are
probably outdated.

Diego

If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets ...

Documentation:

 * a nice and complete MEncoder tutorial

 * continue docs review

 * check docs for completeness

 * write documentation HOWTO/rules document

 * New german documentation maintainer ;)

Bug fixes:

 * fix mf ijpg encoding

 * fix crashing DLLs

Small improvements:

 * vo mga should completely blank the screen like fbdev and tdfxfb
   (maybe there should be an option - some people seem to like it the
   way it is, but then fbdev should also behave like this..)

 * Debian package creates mplayer.conf.1 .2 ...

 * -vo fbdev -fb device ---> -fbdev:device

 * accept -dvd 9-12 command line

 * specify suboptions in a config file without breaking playback (use
   channel 21 if using -tv, same idea for -vop, -aop, etc...)

Cleanup:

 * move -dump* options to mencoder

 * integrate dvdnav into mplayer structure

 * integrate libmpdvdkit2 into mplayer structure (message system and
   command line options)

 * remove all obsolete code, options, files etc

 * modularize all VOs, AOs, as well as audio/video codecs/filters like
   vidix drivers; it'd make the main binary smaller and packager's job
   easier

 * move zoran jpeg encoder to video filters

 * convert -zr options to -zr suboption:suboption format

Filters:

 * eq filter should support RGB in addition to YUV

 * drop-deinterlace plugin

 * hue, saturation sw eq filters

 * implement gamma correcture filter

Enhancements:

 * adapt colored output from MPlayerXP

 * merge VIDIX from MPlayerXP

 * SSA style & colors handling

 * plugin structure for vop/aop

 * support for VirtualDub and Winamp plugins

 * implement xawtv config file parser (for channels, etc)

 * finish icc support

 * G400 2nd head through mga_vid ;)

 * dts support

 * do more things automagically

 * guess correct DVD title

 * syuv support in swscaler

Difficult stuff:

 * reverse engineer all closed codecs (SVQ3, QDM2, WMV8/9...)

 * stay in pause after seek, fullscreen etc

 * write something like mptv to replace xawtv

 * write a C implementation of rtsp (redundant)

 * real mmsu:// support

 * encode to mpg, ogm, mp4, asf

 * develop new video overlay interface (something like vidix but with
   less idiotic interface and more compatible with Xv for easier
   driver porting)

 * scale playback speed

 * xinerama video filter that splits movie to 2 screens (like zr)

 * top notch DVD navigation like a hardware player