[MPlayer-dev-eng] Wishlist round 2

Anders Johansson ajh at atcrc.com
Fri Aug 30 03:20:47 CEST 2002

> Hi,
>
> > >   * ability of vo drivers to request 'scaling' playback speed of fixed
> > >     fps movies. (so that mplayer would automatically speed up 23.97 fps
> > >     material to 25 fps for playback on a pal tv (i.e. the sound will be
> > >     played faster too to stay in sync, the pitch becomes higher)
> >
> > This would be nice for ff/slow motion playback, configured
> > through keyboard :)
> > I tried to implement sthg like this, but I always got problems with
> > audio/sync/buffer/etc... Afaik it the possible sound playback speed
> > if based on srate depends on the driver and is limited, donno.
> > Muting would be a choice but then you'll get problems if you
> > unmute it (sync) and I didn't know how to solve the buffer
> > problem... :(
>
> way 1: with audio
> you have to change audio playback speed too.
> for simple cases, like 2x 4x faster/slower playback, it's easy
> (duplicate/drop every sample n-1 times) for custom speed factors
> it's harder, needs soundcard or resample filter to support it

I have planned to implement this anyway cause it is desirebe when
playing Kareoke VCDs (for changing the song speed). I have already
come up with a method to design filters for this on the fly, so I know
how to implement it. Please get back to me if you are interested in
this any further.

Cheers,
//Anders