[MPlayer-dev-eng] Wishlist

Jonas Jermann jjermann at gmx.net
Wed Aug 28 11:39:21 CEST 2002

Hi

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 02:59:46AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> I think it's time to start a wishlist/ideas document or webpage.  The
> donations page was quite a success and some people on -users have been
> offering their help and asking for places to start hacking...
>
> I have no idea if this should best be done as a webpage like donations
> or as a text document, ideas are welcome.
>
> In the meantime we can start collecting wishlist items:
>
>  * reverse engineer SVQ3
:)

[...]

* Finally release pre7, 0.90 and start restructuring ;)

* hue, saturation sw eq filters ?

* plugin structure for vop/aop (didn't Rich tried sthg like this?)

* support for Virtual Dub (or how it's called) plugins

* move -dump* options to mencoder

(maybe in a general way as -ovc dumpsub (<- I know that this
isn't the right solution, donno))

* make the manpage readable for a small window (80)

* fix mf ijpg encoding

* implement xawtv config file parser

(for channels, etc)

* write sthg like mptv to replace xawtv

Is it possible to somehow specify suboptions in a config file
without braking playback? For examples: use channel 21 if using
-tv, same idea for -vop, -aop, etc...)

* integrate dvdnav into mplayer structure

(or change mplayer structure after 1.0 -> never)

* integrate libmpdvdkit2 into mplayer structure ?

(msg->mp_msg, methode should be assignable through command line
option, show used methode at least with -v, maybe not a good
idea as it will make it difficult to import newer versions)

* write a c implementation of rtsp

* real mms:// support

* icc support

* G400 2nd head through mga_vid ;)

* better xscreensaver implementation

* remove all obsolete code, options, files etc

* Rewrite divx4_vbr.c

* dts support

* good comparsion between the known movie players

* New german documentation maintainer ;)

Many things can/could be solved if we were finaly at 0.90 and
the restructuring could finally begin. I like a general
structure as it's more transparent. I hate all those appended
extra workarounds (dvdnav, dump code, etc). It's just not
beautiful and disturbs my senses ;)

Some may be moved to TODO, donno. IMHO all changes which will or
may be done by the core developers should be in tech/TODO. The
rest should be on the wish list. (fix DLLs and dvd server for
example?)

Some structure thoughts:
    - documentation (comparsion, docs, guides, etc)
    - people (maintainers needed, patch help, etc)
    - demuxer (parser, mms, rtsp, etc)
    - decoder (svq3, etc)
    - structure (obsolete code, integration, restructuring, etc)
    - testing (samples, bugs, fixes, etc)

May be sorted by priority too, donno, just some thoughts...

Regards
    Jonas