[MPlayer-dev-eng] Plugin for Graphics in Music Playing Mode

Anders Johansson ajh at atri.curtin.edu.au
Sun Aug 18 06:42:42 CEST 2002

Hi,

> Hello,
>
> I wanna know if someone is making a plugin (or
> something) to visualize something cool (other than
> just chars) when playing music, like those for XMMS or
> WinAMP.
>
> If yes, let me know who and the actual stage of
> development.

Yes, planing.

> If no, where could I get info about where (in the
> internal MPlayer structure) to get the song info
> (album, artist, etc) and the sound waves (to generate
> something that changes when the music changes). I know
> C and a little of SDL.

Best way to tap the audio stream is probably through an audio filter. I
am developing a new audio filter layer. It is starting to mature, and
will hopefully be included in mplayer within the next few weeks. If
you plan to do any spectrum analysis plugins please contact me and I
can get you started and help you develope it.

> PS.: I want to take advantage of the MPlayer
> capabilities, like using framebuffer and others
> (actually I'll use it in FreeVO, http://freevo.sf.net,
> and it runs in framebuffer mode).
>
> When I mentioned it in -users list, some people said
> that it doesn't belong to MPlayer, but I think it
> does. I and many others will appreciate having some
> "visual thing" while playing music.
>
> If someone wants to help me, I'll be glad :)
>

> Gustavo

Cheers,
//Anders