[MPlayer-dev-eng] libmpdvdkit upgrade?

Joey Parrish joey at yunamusic.com
Sat Aug 10 02:42:13 CEST 2002

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 12:34:59AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some ppl at -users requested that ypgrade libmpdvdkit to use latest versions
> of libdvdread/libdvdcss. Yes, they really have some amazing new features.
>
> I've tried to make patch of the orginial changes, upgrade files and apply
> it, most hunks failed. They've changed *a lot* in the code.
>
> So, let's see what do we had in libmpdvdkit over the original libs:
> - ported to many BSD variants, cygwin, darwin, maybe others too ?
>   => dunno. they've ported it to some of these, at leats it seems it was
>   ported to win32 (but msvc instead of cygwin??), darwin and freebsd...
>   the maintainers of these ports should check it ASAP.

I'll try out new libdvdread/libdvdcss on cygwin today.  Was darwin
mpdvdkit ever confirmed as working?  I remember having trouble,
but it was a long time back, and I never spent a great deal of time
with it.

> - libdvdcss - title key cache, stored in ~/.mplayer/DVD-Keys/<discid>
>   => some work, but shouldn't be so hard to merge

I wasn't successful in getting mpdvdkit to cache keys properly on
cygwin.  It took me a long time and lots of hacking to come to this
conclusion, so I wish I had made some notes to myself about it.
IIRC, it had something to do with not being able to read the disc
directly the same way that a linux box would... I'll have to figure
that out again, and this time I'm commenting my code.  :)

In any case, I'm quite happy to try to port in cygwin support again
if it's not readily available.  It took some code from vlc, plus a
lot of hacking.  If I have to do much to libdvdread this time, I'll
send a patch to libdvdread people.  Maybe in the future libdvdread
and libdvdcss can be built without modification into mplayer much
the same way libavcodec is now.

> A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--Joey

--