[MPlayer-dev-eng] best place to analyse uncompressed frames

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Apr 24 12:46:53 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > dunno... maybe vf_rotate
>
> I will look at that one too.  I was looking at crop.  Cropping is a
> fairly basic and easily understood operation on WxH type images.

vf_crop never touch the actual pixels... it just manipulates with stride and
pointers

> > and you aren't
> > interested to read and understand it,
>
> Oh?  I said that did I?  Or maybe you are reading my mind.  Geez
> A'rpi, you really don't know how to foster an Open Source project do
> you?  When you find somebody who is interested enough to want to start
> hacking on it, you are supposed to give them guidance and support, not
> throw the fact that they don't know the entire codebase back in their
> face.
>
> > give it up, now.
>
> Well, I guess contrary to most other Open Source projects which are
> always trying to bring new hackers on board, you want to always be the
> hacker on MPlayer.  You act like you don't want to see a day when
> MPlayer lives beyond your interest in hacking on it.  I would think
> you would like to see more developers, whittling away the TODO list,
> adding new features, chasing bugs, and generally seeing to it that
> MPlayer grows beyond your interest in it.

you are D. Egger under fake name, right?
if i don't want others to hack mplayer, i make it closed source...

> I am quite a capable hacker once I get to know the codebase -- or even
> just the portion I am working with.  I have hacked on quite a number
> of Open Source packages to varying depths from simply hunting down and
> fixing bugs to adding full features like the ad-hoc DDNS (the first
> and only as it's time) method support to the ISC DHCP server complete
> with parsing syntax to script the addition of RRs and make them
> conditional on certain aspects of the DHCP server's state machine.
> But Ted also knew how to culture Open Source hackers.

nice. i did the same with tons of projects, but i did it in the "right way".
you seems to be the tipical 'feature requesting user', saying something
like 'i want to implement this feature, but i don't know how to do it, but
if you show me how to do it, i'll copypaste^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H do it...'

ie. don't ask very basic questions about video processing if you want to
implement a such complex thingie... it's something like 'i can drive
bicycle, so could you please tell me the differences of bicycle and boeing
airplane? so i could drive it too...'

if you call yourself to hacker, then behave as a hacker - ie. RTFS,
experience etc, instead of ask how to implement it line-by-line

> > it's not easy as i said... and you don't even RTFM tech docs
>
> Well, to tell the truth, I did not know there were tech docs.  Thanks
> for pointing them out.  But even upon reading the colorspaces.txt
> document (thankfully they are .txt format), I don't really know any
> more than I got off the web, like how the planar and packed spaces are
> laid out into planes arrays.
this is the main problem...

>  But no worries, I will read some more
> code and docs and figure it out for myself.
good idea

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team