[MPlayer-dev-eng] best place to analyse uncompressed frames

Brian J. Murrell 54ab7742d763976178180e4b663c0040 at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Apr 24 07:56:04 CEST 2002

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 04:40:33AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,

Hi A'rpi.

> no idea... but it won't be easy.

That's not sounding good.  :-(

> it would be with old mplayer, but since the video filter layer, the pipeline
> connects codec and libvo through filters,

Right.

> and it's independent from player
> core. the player (mplayer.c) reads a frame, then call teh video decoder and
> done. the video decoder will callback down to the libvo unless framedrop is
> set.

Hmmmm.  This sounds like an interesting place.  Would a "framedrop" be
the right kind of thing to do to skip frames until a specific frame
was found?  i.e. my "black frame"?

> if i understood your idea right, you want frames to be decoded but not
> displayed.

Well, they could be displayed, as fast as they can be decoded I guess.
I don't think I really care that much if they are displayed or aren't.

> what about implementing such filter? vf_skiptoblack.c...

That is an idea.

> and use control() call to control it from player core.

Maybe I will look into that.  Perhaps the best thing to do is start
working with an existing filter.  Which would you suggest for
simplicity and that demonstrates looking at "pixel" values?

> should be easy, for example:
> sh_video->vfilter->control(sh_video->vfilter,VFCTRL_SKIPTOBLACK,&flag);
>
> flag should be set to 1 when user press the 'skip to black' button, and the
> filter will reset it to zero if got black frame.
>
> you can tweak decoding loop to skip audio plaback and sleeping while flag==1
> note that skipping audio without a-v sync loss is another problem...

It would not be any worse than "seek n" would it?  I find that I can
use the seek values of 1, 10 and 60 to skip commercials just fine and
a/v sync remains good.

Thanx for info!

b.

--