[MPlayer-dev-eng] OT: Question about broadcasting server and player

Hetz Ben Hamo hetz at kde.org
Thu Apr 18 23:33:32 CEST 2002

Hi people,

Allow me to ask few questions here - I'm asking on this mailing list because I
know all the best and brightest people in the video/multimedia are subscribed
to this list - so I'll describe the situation and ask some questions if u
don't mind...

I've been asked by a cable company about a solution for their subscribers to
allow:

1. Get VoD (Video On Demand) through their cable by network (the cable company
supplies an internet connection) so someone can either watch video on PC and
probably later - on TV.
2. Multi platform client - Linux, Mac, PC.
3. Embedded solution - optional.
4. Streaming servers running on Linux, Solaris, SGI - you know the drift -
anything that won't fail like tower of poker cards (hint - Windows), and can
handle thousands of requests.
5. Fast, fast, fast encoding - there is a huge number of tapes to transform
from Analog (broadcast tapes) to Digital format
6. DRM - optional. You'll never know if the suits want it or not...
7. Open Source - preferrable (and if possible - a company behind it)

I have considered 4 options:

1. Windows media server/client - the obvious disadvantages are: No official
Linux client, No Linux/Unix server.
2. Real server/Real Player - costs fortune, haven't heard good reports about
broadcast quality (PC full screen or PAL TV).
3. DivX - while I played with it and got some pretty good results, I didn't
see any official server side real-time encoder, prices for server programs,
etc...
4. On2 VP4, VP5 - looks good, but same issues as divx.

Are there any options that you recommend?

Thanks,
Hetz