[MPlayer-dev-eng] OT: Question about broadcasting server and player

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Apr 19 00:35:09 CEST 2002

On Thursday 18 April 2002 23:33, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> Allow me to ask few questions here - I'm asking on this mailing list
> because I know all the best and brightest people in the video/multimedia
> are subscribed to this list - so I'll describe the situation and ask some
> questions if u don't mind...
>
> I've been asked by a cable company about a solution for their subscribers
> to allow:
>
> 1. Get VoD (Video On Demand) through their cable by network (the cable
> company supplies an internet connection) so someone can either watch video
> on PC and probably later - on TV.
> 2. Multi platform client - Linux, Mac, PC.
> 3. Embedded solution - optional.
> 4. Streaming servers running on Linux, Solaris, SGI - you know the drift -
> anything that won't fail like tower of poker cards (hint - Windows), and
> can handle thousands of requests.
> 5. Fast, fast, fast encoding - there is a huge number of tapes to transform
> from Analog (broadcast tapes) to Digital format
> 6. DRM - optional. You'll never know if the suits want it or not...
> 7. Open Source - preferrable (and if possible - a company behind it)
>
> I have considered 4 options:
>
> 1. Windows media server/client - the obvious disadvantages are: No official
> Linux client, No Linux/Unix server.
> 2. Real server/Real Player - costs fortune, haven't heard good reports
> about broadcast quality (PC full screen or PAL TV).
> 3. DivX - while I played with it and got some pretty good results, I didn't
> see any official server side real-time encoder, prices for server programs,
> etc...
> 4. On2 VP4, VP5 - looks good, but same issues as divx.
>
> Are there any options that you recommend?
Hmm, as ffserver seems broken currently, how about the darwin streaming
server? It streams out mpeg4 (haven't tested it) and clients for that are
available for about all platforms.
Dunno if it has inbuild encoder, otherwise mencoder or ffmpeg with libavcodec
are surely very fast and high quality encoders.

--
Best Regards,
        Atmos