[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: mga_vid as a patch

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Apr 15 02:28:22 CEST 2002

Hi,

> >> it via some other means.
> >it would be nice if it's included in the kernel :)
> >but i'm sure it will never be... :(
>  I'll try to ask alternative kernel maintainers ( Alan Cox probably
> wouldn't be eager to do so, but WOLK or jp could do it,
> especially if we'd provide the same not only for mga but also radeon and
> sis).
sis driver never worked, it was imported from mpeg2dec but no one worked on
it... radeon stuff is outdated since vidix :(

> I have put the patch in cvs in drivers/ directory, it is also available
> for download at http://eyck.forumakad.pl/mplayer/
> as mgavid.patch.
>  hmm.. as I look at it now, it is 52k uncompressed, and probably shouldn't
> be put in cvs.
ye,s yuo shouldn't...
you should patch mga_vid.c to work as standalone and as part of the kernel,
and make patch only for kernel's makefile/configure.heml etc

> Patch is against clean 2.4.18, mga_vid driver is then accessible via
> Console drivers -> framebuffer support -> Matrox acceleration -> Matrox
> mga_vid driver.
it does nothing with framebuffer interface of the kernel, it shouldn't be
there!!!! put it to character devices, where it belongs to.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team