[MPlayer-dev-eng] updated TODO for prerelease - rt encoder ideas

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Apr 11 18:09:44 CEST 2002

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 06:19:18PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > - move realtime mpeg1 encoders (lavc, fame, rte) to libmpcodecs/vf
> >
> > What about instead moving them to libmpcodecs/ve then having a special
> > vf module that can use generic video encoders for realtime encoding to
> > pass to hardware decoder cards, etc.? This might be a bit more work,
> > but it sounds like a more flexible architecture. It could eliminate
> > having two different encoding interfaces to libavcodec, while at the
> > same time opening the door for network-streaming vo drivers in the
> > future that use codecs other than mpeg1 (say for example mpeg4 :).
>
> not really
> the realtime encoders are started with very different parameters.
> and the interface of ve_ and vf_ differs, ve_ will callback to mencoder's
> muxer, and not even compiled for mplayer. vf_ will query and 'handshake'
> colorspace with next driver (vo) and config it so.

I guess I was thinking of something more elaborate/elegant, where the
mencoder muxer would just be the next 'filter' in the chain that would
take the stream output by the encoder and put it into the output
file...  Perhaps that's a naive way of looking at the new muxer layer
design though, but maybe it'd work...?

Rich